Last updated on May 10th, 2022 at 11:21 am.
In this post you will learn how to connect your third party domain to Shopify. You will connect your domain to Shopify using Cloudflare. Whether your domain is from Namecheap, Bluehost , Godaddy , etc , this post is vendor agnostic. The only common factor here will be Cloudflare (CF).
Watch the video below for a full step by step illustration.
Or read the post below, for a short step by step guide on how to connect a third party domain to Shopify using Cloudflare.
The steps for connecting your external domain:
These are the quick steps for connecting your domain. We’ll talk more about each step in future.
- First create a free Cloudflare (CF) account if you don’t have one. CF is a reliable platfrom that provides various web services. Using the cloudflare DNS service is free. With Shopify we’ll only use the DNS part of Cloudflare.
- Secondly, connect your domain on cloudflare by changing your Name-servers to point to the Cloudflare nameservers. CF will give you new nameservers. Take them and add them wherver you bought your domain from.
- Log into your Shopify store and add your domain . Choose to add an external domain . Add the same domain you added on CF. Shopify will provide you with various DNS records. To get the DNS records, click the Verify Connection button. You’ll get a CNAME record for WWW and an A record that points to an IP address. Add these to CF.
- Take the records you have been given and add them on Coudflare. On Cloudflare, under the DNS tab, add the records you got from Shopify. Give time for propagation.
- Next go back to Shopify and confirm to add/connect the domain even if it has not fully been propagated and identified by Shopify correctly. The confirmation takes some time.
- Once the domain has fully been confirmed and connected on Shopify, feel free to make it the primary domain for your online store