Last updated on August 30th, 2016 at 01:27 pm
The Images are not visible so watch the video above
The video below, shows you how to install WordPress on Bluehost
The only tutorial you will ever need on how to install WordPress on a new or any computer
To install wordpress you need a local server running on your computer. You may use Xampp or Wamp. I will show you how to get wamp for Windows and install it on your computer and install wordpress.
Let’s get started .
Click on download or click on the “START USING WAMPSERVER” on the homepage.
If your computer is 32 bits choose the 32bit version, if your computer is 64 bit choose the 64 bit version.
Quickest way to check windows bits version is as follows:
–Click Start then click ‘Run’
–Type in msinfo32 as shown below
–in the System information window check out for system type . If the System Type is ‘”x86-based PC”’ then your c is 32bit, x64 is 64. The following computer is 32 bit.
- Moving on,Click on download for your computer either the 32bit or 64 bit as shown in the diagram . A modal window appears as shown in the image below. To download click on the link that says ‘download directly.’
4.2.Note: For WampServer to be installed you need the Visual Studio 2012 VC 11 vcredist_x64/86.exe , whose link is provided in the modal window as well. Feel free to download it just to be safe.
4.3.On the Microsoft site click the obnoxious red download button.
4.4.On the next page that comes, if your computer is 32 bits select the file with “..vcredist_x86.exe “ appended to it. And if yours is 64 bit go for the “..vcredist_x64.exe”. Then click next and the download will start automatically.
4.5.Note: Once this Microsoft file is downloaded, ensure you install it first before the WampServer installation.
- Continuing from the WampServer download , once you click on the WampServer download link on the modal window, you will be redirected to sourceforge.net and the download starts automatically.
- After download completes, run the installer and follow the steps accordingly. If you get any errors the first thing, install the Microsoft file you downloaded as directed above, afterwards continue with the installation.
For windows, your system will be detected, that is if your computer is 32 bit, the 32 bit version is availed for you for download.
Click on the blue download button .
The download automatically starts once you are redirected to sourceforge.net.
Before installing the downloaded Xampp package, ensure you have the Visual Studio 2012 VC 11 vcredist_x64/86.exe installed. To download it follow the steps provided above.
If you are using WampServer,
- Navigate to WWW folder in the WampServer directory. With the defaults it will ususally be at C:wampwww.
- Inside the WWW directory create a folder named “examplewordpress” . This is where you will extract the WordPress files .This is where your WordPress website files will reside.
- Head over to the where you downloaded WordPress and extract all the contents into the “examplewordpress” folder. Open the zipped file, you shall see a folder called wordpress within it. Double click on the folder and you shall see all the WordPress files. Click CTRL + A to select all the files and drag them into the “examplewordpress” folder.
Creating A database
4.1 power up WampServer. Go to start menu and start WampServer. Then put the server online by going to the notification area and click and you see the menu as below.
4.2 You will have to be on PHPMyAdmin to create a database so open it up by clicking on it on the WampServer Menu as below
4.3 PHPMyadmin on the browser
4.4 Create a new database and call it ‘examplewordpress’ . The screenshot below may vary from yours due to WampServer version differences.
Continuing WordPress Installation
4.5 The database has now been created so we can go to the browser and proceed with WordPress installation.
- On your browser navigate to http://localhost/examplewordpress/ . Since you have not shown WordPress how to connect to your database you will see the message below. Click on “Create a Configuration File” button to continue to generating the wp-config file.
- In the next window that comes up click on “Let’s go!”
- Change Database Name to examplewordpress as you named it earlier while creating the database on PHPMYadmin.
Change username to your MYSQL Username, if you haven’t edited anything after the WampServer installation use root.
Leave the password field blank unless you had earlier set up a password
Leave the Database Host as localhost
Change the Table Prefix to anything else eg wpwpw_
Then hit submit.
- In the next window click “run the install”
- Enter your new WordPress site details.
- Alright Sparky that’s it . You can now log into your wordpress site that you created with your username and password you typed in the previous window with the WordPress details. Click log in.
- Welcome to the WordPress dashboard.
- To see your site click on the site name as follows
- Your WordPress site running the twenty fourteen theme from WordPress.
- Installation complete
For xampp just follow all these steps, except you will have to put the wordpress site folder in htdocs within the xampp folder since Xampp has no www folder but the htdocs folder.
Still have questions? Ask or comment on them below.
Latest posts by Ricky Wahowa (see all)
- Learn both Mailchimp and GetResponse in this Video [3 Hours] - May 12, 2017
- How Mailchimp is killing the competition - May 3, 2017
- 24 CSS Selectors – Combination Selectors , Multiple Selectors - March 21, 2017